Perspectives from a Mediator/Arbitrator

Thursday, June 08, 2006

World Cup Fever!

It has been a very busy week so very little time to post, but here we are on the verge of one of my favorite events, the World Cup of Soccer or as I am sure it is called in the rest of the world - the World Cup of Football (subject of course to translations). I, as always, will be looking forward not only to the event but to the juxtaposition of sport and arbitration. Will there be any positive drug tests? Will they have an impact on the outcome?

Two other quick tidbits come to mind. One is the story of the pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks, Jason Grimsley, whose home was raided yesterday. He, apparently, has been using human growth hormone (HGH). I am afraid that we are on the verge of the lid being blown off the drug issue in baseball!

The other tidbit comes from 1977. I was fortunate enough to spend 4 months in England with my family. We did alot of touring around. One of my memories is of seeing signs at gas stations near highways that stated - No Football Coaches Allowed. As a young Torontonian, I wondered why they would exclude Leo Cahill from the premises. I came to learn that they were trying to prevent English soccer (footaball) rowdies. That brings me back to the World Cup. I hope there are no incidents in the stands. I will be rooting for the Netherlands, England and whichever of the African teams that emerges as a Cinderella team. Enjoy the games and we will stay in touch on any of the legal issues (that inevitably I am afraid will emerge).

2 Comments:

  • Go Holland!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:42 a.m.  

  • I must say, Argentina looks good. Will be a great game!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:14 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home