Perspectives from a Mediator/Arbitrator

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Where Have I Been - Part 2?

Well...it was one busy summer but now with Labour Day behind us - I will get back to regular blogging. My friend, Jules Bloch, said to me the other day that the year really ought to start on Labour Day and I think he is right. It would be nice to end the year with summer. It would be nice to start the year with the start of school and fall harvest. I do not think that it is going to happen anytime soon - but sign me up for those who want to change the calendar so the year starts on the first Tuesday of September (admittedly, this idea still needs some work!).

A couple of thoughts and things:

The soccer season is over. Both Raymond United teams had good seasons. The kids were great, the coaches were fantastic and the parents were not annoying. I will miss my summer evenings sitting in a chair watching ten kids chase after a soccer ball. Fortunately, in this league, there is no score-keeping, there are no all-star teams and there are no playoffs - the focus is on the kids and the games - as it should be.

My good friend, Howard Borenstein, became a Provincial Court Judge yesterday. We were invited to a get together later in the evening after the swearing-in to celebrate. The bench is strengthened by Howard's presence - he will be conscientious, fair and hard-working. It will be interesting to hear his stories from his new perspective - I doubt that I will be able to convince him to start a blog though - would be interesting - Perspectives from a Provincial Court Judge!

On the work front, things have been very busy. I have a question though for my fellow mediators. I have recently been beset by the phenomenom of people leaving mediations before I want them to! While I appreciate that I do not have any power whatsoever to keep them there against their will (and I am not looking for that power), I was wondering whether anyone wanted to share their experiences as to how to talk the determined person into staying. My "reasons why you should stay" speech does not seem to be working as frequently as I would like. On a number of occasions, I was quite certain that if the person leaving simply stayed, a satisfactory resolution would have been reached. If you wish to just share your thoughts directly with me - feel free to email me at stephenraymond@sympatico.ca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home